LENT 2022: Glittering Vices: Envy – Steve Poole -
THEME - Sin destroys our souls. Jesus restores our souls on the cross.
TEXTS – Genesis 3:5, Philippians 3:7-11; 2 Corinthians 12:9-10; Matthew 20:1-16
The envious heart is destructive.
A. Ground rules - James 1:12-15.
- Own your own sin.
- No secret sin.
- Confession brings hope.
B. Envy Flourishes in Comparison
- Eliminate or minimize comparison
- Limit time on social media.
C. Envy grows from a false sense of identity.
- Why do we care so much about how we “stack up” against our peers? Because we are measuring our self-worth comparatively.
- If there is no greater power or truth than ourselves, the only way we can ascribe value is works-based and not Gospel-based.
D. Envy withers in the application of the Gospel truth to our lives.
- In Jesus and his teaching we find a new identity.
- Our worth comes from what someone will pay for us, which happens to be the very LIFE of the incarnate God!
- Philippians 3:7-11
- 2 Corinthians 12:9-10
E. Next Steps
- Invite God’s Holy Spirit to convict you of your envy, confess, and recognize the generosity of God’s mercy.
- Consider what draws you into the “comparison game” in your life and come up with a plan to avoid those situations. Example - fast from Facebook or IG
- Reread Matthew 20 or Philippians 3 and let the power of the gospel dismantle the envy in your heart by affirming your identity as God’s beloved son or daughter.
SUPPORT THE MINISTRY OF CEDAR HILLSSupport the show